St Andrews Church, Abbots Ripton
The church of St Andrew consists of a chancel, north chapel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. Although there was a church here at the time of the Domesday survey of 1086, the earliest evidence of the present buildings is of a church gradually reconstructed and enlarged during the third and fourth decades of he 13th century. This church, which consisted apparently of a chancel, nave south aisle with south porch, and perhaps a north aisle, was dedicated by the Bishop of Lincoln in 1242.
At the beginning of the 16th century, it was evidently intended to rebuild the church. The chancel was, at that date, rebuilt and the north chapel added. A new arcade on the north side of the nave was erected and, from the evidence of the west respond of the south arcade, it was apparently proposed to rebuild that side also. It is probable that, instead of doing so, this arcade was taken down and rebuilt with the same material. The tower is part of the same scheme of reconstruction, but of a little later date than the rest of the work.
The church was restored by subscription in 1858, and in 1868 the roofs of the nave and the south aisle were restored as a memorial to Frances Rooper by her brothers and sisters.
See Village History for more details of the Church.